Libby announces Franco-American Day celebrations for March 16
AUGUSTA— Sen. Nate Libby, D-Lewiston, co-chair of the Legislature’s Franco-American Caucus, announce that the 15th Annual Franco-American Day will be celebrated at the State Capitol in Augusta on Wednesday, March 16.
“As co-chairman of the Franco Caucus, it’s a great honor and special privilege to host Franco Americans from across Maine at the State House for this day of celebration,” Libby said. “We take this day to recognize the contributions of Franco Americans, who have done outstanding work in preserving and promoting Franco culture and the French language in our state.”
Several ceremonies and events will be held at the State House to honor Franco Americans on Wednesday.
“The contributions of Franco-Americans to our state’s history, culture and traditions make Maine truly unique in the nation,” said Rep. John Martin, D-Eagle Lake. “As co-chairman of the Franco-American Caucus, I’m pleased to have seen this tradition carry on into its 15th year, and look forward to many more celebrations in years to come.”
8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. — Hall of Flags
- Musical performances organized by the Maine Folque Co-Op and the Maine Traditional Music Association, featuring Les Troubadours, Les Bons Gaillard, fiddler Gus LaCasse and Les Bijoux Folk Fiddlers.
- Several Franco-American cultural and educational organizations will be available with displays and information.
9 a.m. — House Chamber
- The House of Representatives will begin its legislative day with the Presentation of Colors by the Franco-American War Veterans Post 31 and the national anthems of France, Canada and the United States performed by singer Melanie Saucier of Fort Kent. The House Session will be conducted in French and English by House Speaker pro-tempore Peggy Rotundo, D-Lewiston.
10 a.m. — Senate Chamber
- The Senate will begin its legislative day, with Presentation of Colors also conducted by the Franco-American War Veterans Post 31, and Ms. Saucier again performing the national anthems of France, Canada and the United States. The Senate session will be conducted in French and English by Senate President pro-tempore Roger Katz, R-Augusta.
11:30 a.m. — Hall of Flags
- Press conference featuring the announcement of the 2016 inductees to the Franco-American Hall of Fame and remarks from American, Canadian, French and Quebecois dignitaries honoring the contributions of Franco-Americans.
- The Cross Cafeteria in the adjacent Burton M. Cross State Office Building will offer a Franco-American menu.