Work plan for state bridge and road projects unveiled
AUGUSTA – Democratic Sen. Cathy Breen of Falmouth is pleased to share the details of Maine’s three-year transportation infrastructure work plan, and what it means for Senate District 25: Chebeague Island, Cumberland, Falmouth, Gray, Long Island, Yarmouth, and parts of Westbrook. The plan is released annually with an outline of the Maine Department of Transportation’s strategy for road, bridge and other transportation projects throughout the state.
“Mainers – and our economy – depend on our transportation infrastructure,” said Sen. Breen. “I am glad the Department of Transportation will be undertaking these projects to ensure our roads, bridges, and sidewalks remain safe and functional for our communities.”
According to the MDOT, the work plan includes more than $2.2 billion worth of construction and maintenance, of which $520 million is scheduled for 497 capital projects in 2016. Included are projects for highways and bridges, transit (bus), passenger and freight railroad, aviation, ferries, ports and other marine facilities, and bicycle-pedestrian access.
“I have already met with staff from the Department of Transportation regarding these projects’ impacts on the daily lives of my constituents. And I look forward to facilitating good communication between the Department and the communities I represent as these projects take shape,” added Sen. Breen.
Sen. Breen stressed the importance of funding for the MDOT work plan and its investment to the area and entire state. The following breakdown is what the planned capital and maintenance work will mean for the area in 2016:
Bicycle or Pedestrian
- A new pedestrian bumpout, crossing, and flashing beacon from Fiddlehead Arts and Science Center to Gray Wildlife Park in Gray on Route 26.
- In Cumberland on Tuttle Road as part of the Municipal Partnership Initiative: beginning 0.03 miles east of Crossing Brook Road and extending easterly 0.16 miles.
Highway Preservation Paving
- In Brunswick, Cumberland, Falmouth, Freeport, Portland, Yarmouth on Interstate 295 Southbound, beginning 0.70 miles north of the Lewiston Road Off Ramp and extending southerly 21.5 miles.
- In Cumberland on Blanchard Road, beginning at Bruce Hill Road and extending southeast 1.64 miles to Main Street.
- In Cumberland and Falmouth on Route 1, beginning at the north joint of Martin Point Bridge and extending northerly 1.37 miles to end of lane split.
- In Gray and Windham on Route 202 beginning 0.40 miles south of Lotts Drive in Windham and extending east 7.42 miles.
- In Westbrook on Warren Avenue beginning at Cumberland Street and the triangle – 0.08 miles and extending northeast 0.86 miles.
Highway Safety and Spot Improvements
- In Cumberland and Falmouth on Route 1 as part of the Municipal Partnership Initiative, beginning 0.03 miles north of Johnson Road and extending north 1.06 miles to 0.09 miles north of Casco Bay Drive plus overlay, beginning at Gray Road and extending north 1.00 miles.
- In Falmouth on Route 26 beginning at Robert’s Road and extending north 1.83 miles to Libby Bridge and beginning 1.00 miles north of Libby Bridge and extending 1.04 miles to Hurricane Road, including sidewalk improvements on Leighton Road and Falmouth Road.
- In Falmouth at the intersection of Longwoods Road and Woods Road.
- In Falmouth and Portland on Interstate 295, sign replacements on Interstate 295 in both directions between Exit 4 and Exit 9.
- In Gray at the intersection of Route 202 and Campbell Shore Road.
- Replacing bridge rail for Mumford Bridge, which carries Mill Road over Piscataqua River in Cumberland.
- In Durham, Gray, New Gloucester, North Yarmouth, Pownal, Sebago, Standish on Route 231, Route 9, Route 35, Route 114, Route 22, Stroudwater Street, Saco Street, River Road, ditching and replacing culverts in preparation of Gray Area Light Capital Paving (LCP) project.
- Replacing wearing surface on Allen’s Bridge which carries Falmouth Road over Presumpscot River in Falmouth.
- Clearing overgrown trees and brush including stump grinding along Interstate 295 between mile markers 15 to 22 in Freeport and Yarmouth.
Bridge Work (Other)
- On Route 1: the Cousins River Bridge on the Freeport-Yarmouth town line.
- On Bridge Street, the Cotton Mill Bridge over Royal River in Yarmouth.
- On Route 1: the Royal River Bridge in Yarmouth.
Click here to view local road assistance totals and maintenance accomplishments for 2015, the funding estimates for 2016 projects, and the full list of Chebeague Island, Cumberland, Falmouth, Gray, Long Island, Yarmouth, and Westbrook projects for years 2017 and 2018. Local projects in 2017/2018 include bicycle racks, wayfinding signage, and single line marking pavement in Cumberland, Falmouth, Freeport, North Yarmouth, and Yarmouth.
The entire MDOT work plan can be viewed here.