Work plan for state bridge and road projects unveiled
AUGUSTA – Democratic Sen. Justin Chenette of Saco is pleased to share the details of Maine’s three-year transportation infrastructure work plan, and what it means for Senate District 31, which includes Saco, Old Orchard Beach, Hollis, Limington, and part of Buxton. The plan is released annually with an outline of the Maine Department of Transportation’s strategy for road, bridge and other transportation projects throughout the state.
“Our area is poised to be the recipient of a number of important transportation related projects,” said Sen. Chenette. “The public must have access to safe roads, bridges, and railways not just for ourselves, but for the foundation of future economic growth.”
According to the MDOT, the work plan includes more than $2.3 billion worth of construction and maintenance, of which $537 million is scheduled for 632 capital projects in 2017. Included are projects for highways and bridges, transit (bus), passenger and freight railroad, aviation, ferries, ports and other marine facilities, and bicycle-pedestrian access.
Sen. Chenette stressed the importance of funding for the MDOT work plan and its investment to the district and the entire state. The following breakdown is what the planned capital and maintenance work will mean for the communities of Senate District 31 in 2017:
Bridge Work (Other)
- Work on the Bradbury Bridge over North Branch Cooks Bridge in Hollis, located 0.03 of a mile west of Route 35
Highway Light Capital Paving
- Paving on sections of the following roads in the Hollis/Limington area: Route 4A, Route 9, Saco Street, Stroudwater Street, Route 22, Route 4 and Route 35
- Paving on sections of the following roads in the Hollis/Limington area: Route 107, Route 11, Plains Road, Route 114, South Hiram Road, Route 160 and Route 117
Highway Preservation Paving
- Work beginning at Imperial Street in Old Orchard Beach and extending north 1.19 miles to Ross Road
- Work beginning at Route 9 in Old Orchard Beach and extending north 0.20 of a mile to Route 98
- Work on beginning at Route 25 and extending north 5.74 miles in Limington/Standish
- Work beginning at Route 117 and extending north 5.74 miles to Route 11 in Limington/Standish
Highway Safety and Spot Improvements
- Located at the intersection of Broadturn Road and Route 22 in Buxton
- Ditching and replacing culverts in preparation of Light Capital Paving (LCP) beginning at the intersection of the Portland Road in Buxton and extending east 2.30 miles to the Scarborough urban compact line
- Removing and replacing the curb and rail, widening the bridge deck, realigning the approach guardrail and sealing the concrete on Haines Meadow Bridge in Buxton, which carries Route 112 over Haynes Meadow Brook
- Ditching in preparation of Light Capital Paving (LCP), beginning at the Saco-Buxton town line and extending north 2.15 miles to the junction of Route 202
- Replacing the headers and seals, adding concrete end posts and grinding then paving the approaches of the West Buxton Bridge, which carries Buxton Road over the Saco River at the Buxton-Hollis town line
- Ditching and culvert replacement in preparation of the Biddeford Area Light Capital Paving (LCP) project, beginning at the intersection of Route 4 and extending north 2.15 miles to the Hollis-Buxton town line
- Rehabilitating wing walls, curb and fascia, adding new bridge rail and posts, installing new wearing surface and sealing concrete with silane on the Creek Bridge in Limington, which carries Route 117 over Barnel Brook
- Producing, hauling and providing additional support activities for the placement of plant mix recycled asphalt pavement beginning 0.10 of a mile north of Shaving Hill Road in Limington and extending north 5.74 miles
- Work at the intersection of Route 98 and Ross Road in Old Orchard Beach
- Maine Turnpike Authority and MaineDOT scoping evaluation of existing traffic conditions and deficiencies at the Route 112 Interchange in Saco, with particular attention to Route 1, Route 112, I-195, Broadturn Road, Flag Pond Road and Haigis Parkway
- Reconstruction of a rail spur serving the Saco Industrial Park in Saco
- Work on Casco Bay Transportation in Saco
Click here to view local road assistance totals and maintenance accomplishments for 2016, the funding estimates for 2017 projects, and the full list of Saco, Old Orchard Beach, Hollis, Limington, and Buxton projects for years 2018 and 2019.
The entire MDOT work plan can be viewed here.