Work plan for state bridge and road projects unveiled
AUGUSTA – Sen. Mike Carpenter, D-Houlton, is pleased to announce the details of Maine’s three-year transportation infrastructure work plan, and what it means for the state and region. The plan is released annually with an outline of the Maine Department of Transportation’s strategy for road, bridge and other transportation projects throughout the state.
“People living in rural parts of the state rely on roads and bridges to be in solid condition,” said Sen. Carpenter. “I hope that this outline is helpful to local officials and anyone interested in upcoming projects in Aroostook and Penobscot Counties.”
According to the MDOT, the work plan includes more than $2.3 billion worth of construction and maintenance, of which $511.1 million is scheduled for 604 capital projects in 2018. The 3 year plan estimates MDOT will invest in 229 miles of highway construction; 1,128 miles of pavement preservation; 1,800 miles of light capital paving for roads and highways; 240 spot and safety improvements; and 260 bridge construction projects.
Sen. Carpenter stressed the importance of funding for the MDOT work plan and its investment to Aroostook and Penobscot Counties. The following breakdown is the planned capital and maintenance work for some communities in the region in 2018:
- Houlton International Airport: Safety and infrastructure improvements that may include an obstruction analysis and airfield pavement markings at the Houlton International Airport (HUL).
- Northern Maine Regional Airport: Safety and infrastructure improvements that may include acquisition of snow removal equipment (plow blades) and Runway and Taxiway painting and crack sealing at the Northern Maine Regional Airport (PQI).
- Bridgewater: Replace wearing surface and repair T-beam on Whitney Bridge on Route 1.
- I-95: Interstate 95 bridges from Medway to Houlton.
- Drew Plt: Mattawamkeag River Bridge over Mattawamkeag River.
- Easton: Repair retaining walls on Prestile Brook Bridge.
- Hodgdon: Hodgdon Mills Bridge over South Branch Meduxnekeag River.
- Houlton: Cooks Brook Bridge over Cooks Brook.
- Island Falls: Randall Bridge over the West Branch of the Mattawamkeag River.
- Macwahoc Plt: Kingman Road Bridge over Macwahoc Stream.
- Macwahoc Plt: Repairs drains and T beams on Jordan Bridge over Macwahoc Stream.
- New Limerick: Repairing guard rail and drains on Tannery Bridge over South Branch Meduxnekeag River.
- Oakfield: Repair end post, beam ends and bearing on BandA Railroad Yard Bridge located on Interstate 95 southbound.
- Amity/Orient, Route 1: Beginning 0.73 of a mile north of the Weston town line and extending northerly 10.87 miles.
- Crystal/Patten, Route 159: Beginning 0.26 of a mile north of Belvedere Road and extending westerly 8.11 miles to Route 11.
- I-95: Beginning 0.08 of a mile north of Interstate 95 off-ramp to Route 11 and extending southerly 22.91 miles to the Medway-T2 R9 town line.
- Houlton/Ludlow/New Limerick/Smyrna, Route 2: Beginning 0.66 of a mile west of the New Limerick town line and extending easterly 10.34 miles.
- Littleton/Monticello, Route 1: Beginning 0.38 of a mile north of Little Road and extending northerly 10.22 miles.
- Mars Hill/Westfield, Route 1: Beginning 0.11 of a mile east of Clark Road and extending northwesterly 1.20 miles.
- Mars Hill, Boynton Road: Beginning at Route 1A and extending east 1.54 miles.
- Monticello, Fletcher Road: Beginning at Route 1 and extending east 2.81 miles to the Canadian Border.
- Presque Isle, Parson Road: Beginning 0.14 of a mile south of Mapleton town line and extending southerly 0.31 of a mile.
- Crystal/Island Falls, Route 159: Beginning 0.02 of a mile east of Interstate 95 Ramp D in Island Falls and extending westerly 1.16 miles.
- Dyer Brook, Route 2: Beginning 2.30 miles north of Pond Road and extending northerly 1.54 miles to Keith Brook Road.
- Presque Isle, Route 1: Beginning at Westfield town line extending north 5.90 miles to Conant Road.
Highway Safety and Maintenance
- Blaine/Bridgewater: Ditching various locations beginning at the Monticello/Bridgewater town line and extending north to the Blaine/Mars Hill town line.
- Bridgewater: Ditching various locations beginning at the Kinney Road and extending east to the intersection of Route 1 in Bridgewater.
- Carroll Plt: Repairing cross culvert located at the intersection of the Brown Road.
- Carroll Plt: Large culvert located 1.38 miles north of the Kossuth Twp. town line.
- Chapman: Large culvert located 0.29 of a mile south of the Mapleton town line.
- Drew Plt: Replacing culverts beginning 0.16 of a mile south of the Prentiss Twp/Drew Plt. town line and extending northerly 6.35 miles to the intersection of the Eight Road.
- Dyer Brook: Ditching various locations and replacing culverts beginning 2.2 miles north of the intersection of Pond Road and extending north 1.0 mile.
- Fort Fairfield: Cross culvert located 1.43 miles south of Dumond Road.
- Haynesville: Removing material under guard rail in various locations beginning at Route 2A and extending southeast 4.93 miles to the Haynesville/Bancroft Twp. town line.
- Haynesville: Large culvert located 1.33 miles north of Glenwood Plt. town line.
- I-95: Large culvert located 0.15 of a mile south of Interstate 95 southbound on-ramp.
- Lee: Replacing road base 0.69 of a mile east of the intersection of the Maxwell Road and repairs extending 500 feet.
- Linneus/New Limerick: Cleaning culverts and ditching at various locations beginning at the junction of Route 2A and South Oakfield Road and extending to junction of Drews Lake Road.
- Macwahoc Plt: Ditching various locations beginning at the intersection of Route 2A and extending west 6.9 miles to the Upper Molunkus Twp/T1 R5 WELS town line.
- Macwahoc Plt: Replacing culverts beginning at the intersection of Route 2A and extending west 2.0 miles in Macwahoc Plt.
- Macwahoc Plt: Ditching various locations beginning at the Webster Plt/Kingman Twp. town line and extending west to the intersection of Route 2 in Macwahoc Plt.
- Mount Chase/Patten: Ditching various locations beginning at the intersection of Route 11 and extending north to the Patten/Mount Chase town line.
- Mount Chase: Ditching from the Beebe Road extending north to the Shin Pond Bridge in Mount Chase.
- New Limerick: Ditching various locations beginning at the intersection of Route 2 and extending south 1.9 miles to Drew Lake Road.
- Oakfield: Building crew quarters and repairing foundation to Oakfield garage located 0.07 of a mile north of Interstate 95 on the Oakfield Smyrna Road.
- Oakfield: Cross culvert located 0.20 of a mile east of Crandall Lane and extending northerly 0.02 of a mile.
- Orient: Ditching various locations beginning at the junction of School House Road and extending east 3.04 miles to the Canadian border.
- Patten: Large culvert located 0.01 of a mile south of Church Street.
- Presque Isle: Ditching various locations from the intersection of the Jameson Road and extending north 2.25 miles to University Street.
- Presque Isle: Ditching various locations and cleaning culverts beginning at the Hale Road and extending south to the Mapleton/Presque Isle town line.
- Presque Isle: Ditching from the intersection of the State Park Road and extending east 0.25 of a mile.
- Presque Isle: Beginning 1.96 miles south of the Mapleton town line and extending southerly 0.15 of a mile.
- Reed Plt: Ditching and replacing culverts beginning at the intersection of Route 171 extending north 9.98 miles to the intersection of Kelly Road.
- Smyrna: Large culvert located 0.39 of a mile southwest of Timoney Lake Road.
- Winn: Repairing culvert located 0.08 of a mile south of the intersection of Main Street.
Click here to view local road assistance totals and maintenance accomplishments for 2017, the funding estimates for 2018 projects, and the full list of Amity, Blaine, Bridgewater, Carroll Plantation, Cary Plantation, Chapman, Crystal, Drew Plantation, Dyer Brook, Easton, Fort Fairfield, Glenwood Plantation, Hammond, Haynesville, Hersey, Hodgdon, Houlton, Island Falls, Lakeville, Lee, Linneus, Littleton, Ludlow, Macwahoc Plantation, Mars Hill, Merrill, Monticello, Moro Plantation, Mount Chase, New Limerick, Oakfield, Orient, Patten, Presque Isle, Reed Plantation, Sherman, Smyrna, Springfield, Stacyville, Webster Plantation, Westfield, Weston, and Winn projects for years 2019 and 2020.
The entire MDOT work plan can be viewed here.