Work plan for state bridge and road projects unveiled
Democratic Sen. Susan Deschambault of Biddeford is pleased to share the details of Maine’s three-year transportation infrastructure work plan, and what it means for Alfred, Arundel, Biddeford, Dayton, Kennebunkport and Lyman. The plan is released annually with an outline of the Maine Department of Transportation’s strategy for road, bridge and other transportation projects throughout the state.
“Mainers depend on safe, reliable transportation infrastructure for all parts of their lives – to get to work or school, to conduct business, to travel,” said Sen. Deschambault. “I’m glad to see this work planned for the coming years and I will work to ensure continued investments in this vital infrastructure.”
According to the MDOT, the work plan includes more than $2.3 billion worth of construction and maintenance, of which $537 million is scheduled for 632 capital projects in 2017. Included are projects for highways and bridges, transit (bus), passenger and freight railroad, aviation, ferries, ports and other marine facilities, and bicycle-pedestrian access.
Sen. Deschambault stressed the importance of funding for the MDOT work plan and its investment to the Biddeford area and the entire state. The following breakdown is what the planned capital and maintenance work will mean for the communities of Senate District 32 in 2017:
Bridge Work (Other)
- Work on the Rail Road Crossing Bridge over B and M Railroad on Route 1 in Arundel
- Work on Lords Bridge on Ocean Avenue over the Kennebunk River in Kennebunkport
- Work on Bartlett Bridge on Route 4 over Bartlett Stream in Lyman
Highway Light Capital Paving
- Paving in the Hollis area on Route 4A, Route 9, Saco Street, Stroudwater Street, Route 22, Route 4 and Route 5 in Arundel, Buxton, Dayton, Gorham, Hollis, Kennebunk, Kennebunkport, Lyman, Scarborough and Westbrook
Highway Preservation Paving
- Work on 0.85 miles of Precourt Street in Biddeford
Highway Safety and Spot Improvements
- Work on 0.98 miles of Route 111 in Alfred and Lyman
- Work on 1.00 mile of Route 111 in Arundel and Lyman
- Work on the intersection of Main Street, Adams Street and Lincoln Street in Biddeford
- Work on the intersection of Route 35, Route 5, Goodwins Mills Road and Hight Road in Dayton
- Shim paving the Route 202 and Route 224 intersection in Sanford and north 0.80 miles into Alfred
- Ditching and catch basin work on 0.60 miles of Route 4 in Alfred
- Clearing trees and brush on 4.30 miles of Route 202 in Alfred
- Clearing trees on 5.00 miles of Route 35 in Dayton and Lyman
- New floats including moorings, power pedestals, water, pump out facility and restrooms with showers and laundry at Rumery’s Boat Yard in Biddeford
- Replacement and expansion of Government Wharf Pier in Kennebunkport including pilings, fender pile, extension, decking, and bait building
Click here to view local road assistance totals and maintenance accomplishments for 2015, the funding estimates for 2017 projects, and the full list of Alfred, Arundel, Biddeford, Dayton, Kennebunkport and Lyman projects for years 2018 and 2019.
The entire MDOT work plan can be viewed here.