From the beaches and thriving urban centers of southern and coastal Maine to the pristine wilderness of our northern forests, the Maine Senate Democrats represent roughly 600,000 people all over our state.
Our caucus includes men and women with diverse occupational backgrounds reflecting the broad tapestry of Maine people — including small business, law enforcement, teaching, medicine and even aviation.
The caucus is led by Senate President Troy D. Jackson of Allagash, who was chosen by his colleagues – Republican and Democrat – to serve as the 117th President of the Maine Senate.
Sen. Eloise Vitelli of Arrowsic was chosen by the caucus as the Senate Majority Leader for the 130th Legislature. Sen. Mattie Daughtry of Brunswick was elected the Senate Majority Whip.
The longest-serving member in our caucus is Sen. Bill Diamond of Windham, who is enjoying his ninth term in the Senate and also served eight years as Secretary of State.
Despite their diverse backgrounds, the caucus is united with a shared vision for prosperity and a bright future.
That vision includes:
- lowering property taxes
- increasing access to quality, affordable health care
- guaranteeing first-class education for all Maine children
- investing in our workforce and small businesses
- promoting clean, renewable energy
- fighting for social and economic justice
- preserving Maine’s reputation as one of the best places to live, work and play